From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j...help.
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 03:50:24 GMT

In your config file, put something like...

<param name="File" value="${mywebap.log.home}/main.log" />

Then, in your ServletContextListener, set the location of the webapp's
absolute system path as the system variable
"mywebapp.log.home".  Immediately after that, you can perform Log4j
configuration.  Your config file will now write the log file to a directory
within your webapp.  This assumes that you have a distinct logger
repository for each webapp.  This can be done either by using child-first
classloading behavior and including log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib or using a
repository selector.

Actually, I have this all worked out my InitContextlistener in the log4j
sandbox.  Read here for more...
http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

Oh, and just map all the links to the CVS repository to their equivalents
in the SVN repository.  That page hasn't been updated since the move to
SVN.  The latest fully 1.2.xx compatible version of the sandbox code was
tagged, unofficially, as 0.3alpha in CVS (note, any checkins having to do
with Log4j-1.3 compatibility may now be broken since the 1.3 api has
changed since then).  However, CVS is gone and those tags don't exist in
SVN.  I think Revision 311918 looks to be the equivalent, although I
haven't checked for sure.  In any case, you can always just look at the
code and roll your own.  See InitContextListener for lots of javadoc
instructions and see InitShutdownController for the logic.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging/sandbox/log4j/log4j_sandbox/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/servlet/

Jake