From Jeff Bischoff <jbisch...@klkurz.com>
Subject Log4j Web-Deployment best practices question
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:22:37 GMT
I have been using Log4j for the past several months. After reading the
documentation and the mailing list archives, I am still a bit puzzled
about the best practices for deploying web-apps that use Log4j.

What I would like to have is a .WAR file for my website that can be
deployed to either Tomcat or JBoss, without modification. Unfortunately
it seems that the classloaders of these two servers function a bit
differently...

With Tomcat, I understand that the best practice is to provide your own
copy of log4j.jar and configuration files inside your WEB-INF folder.

In JBOSS, however, log4j.jar is included by default in the shared /lib/
folder. If I so much as put an (identical) copy of log4j.jar in my
/WEB-INF/lib/ folder, JBOSS throws exceptions while deploying my
application, and logging fails. (The exception message is at the end of
this email)

I am currently building my WAR file with no log4j.jar, nor log4j
configuration files, and deploying successfully to JBoss (modifying the
default configuration file in JBoss). Unfortunately, now if I want to
use standalone Tomcat, I have to add things to my WAR file, before I can
deploy it.

I have considered switching to commons-logging as a wrapper to log4j (a
trivial conversion). Unfortunately, from what I have read, I will run
into the same problems with classloading.

14:54:59,312 INFO  [STDOUT] log4j:ERROR A
"org.jboss.logging.util.OnlyOnceErrorHandler" object is not assignable
to a "org.apache.log4j.spi.ErrorHandler" variable.
14:54:59,312 INFO  [STDOUT] log4j:ERROR The class
"org.apache.log4j.spi.ErrorHandler" was loaded by
14:54:59,312 INFO  [STDOUT] log4j:ERROR [WebappClassLoader
   delegate: false
   repositories:
     /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader@d9799d
] whereas object of type
14:54:59,312 INFO  [STDOUT] log4j:ERROR
"org.jboss.logging.util.OnlyOnceErrorHandler" was loaded by
[org.jboss.system.server.NoAnnotationURLClassLoader@ab95e6].
14:54:59,359 INFO  [STDOUT] log4j:ERROR Could not create an Appender.
Reported error follows.
14:54:59,359 INFO  [STDOUT] java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender
...(stack trace follows)

- Jeff Bischoff