From "Jonathan Beer" <jb...@texadasoftware.com>
Subject RE: ErrorHandler in log4j 1.3
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:48 GMT
I'm currently using the DBAppender, and I'm looking through the API and I
don't see anything that leads me to believe there's anything in place for
handling errors with the appender.  Is this true?  If this is the case, what
should I be doing to make this to happen?

I've searched the forums but found no useful information.  This leads me to
believe that either (a) people are not looking ahead to the 1.3 release and
using the 1.2.x ErrorHandler interface, (b) nothing ever fails and therefore
there is no need for a backup appender, or (c) I have missed something
obvious.  What are others doing to achieve the fallback in case of appender
error?

Thanks,
Jonathan

PS: I'm sorry if this message was posted before, I tried to sent this last
week, but I can't find it in the log4j-user list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:listid@qos.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:02 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: ErrorHandler in log4j 1.3

The ErrorHandler idea sounds good but in practice it leads to a false sense
of security, even worse, under certain circumstances its indiscriminate use
can result in application failure. I think it is better to leave the
implementation of the fallback mechanism to the failing appender instead of
a general approach which does yield good results under fire.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/