From "Jonathan Beer" <jb...@texadasoftware.com>
Subject ErrorHandler in log4j 1.3
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:41:26 GMT
Hello,

I'm using log4j1.3-alpha8.

I see that in alpha8 the ErrorHandler interface has been deprecated.

What is the fallback method that will be used in 1.3 when the appender is
not available (for example, with a DBAppender, if the connection is refused,
or with a FileAppender without the proper permissions)?

I thought the ErrorHandler mechanism was fairly useful with just a few
drawbacks.  I was using the FallbackErrorHandler
  - I didn't ever figure out how to have the FallbackErrorHandler check for
the original appender to be available again after a certain period
  - The first message was completely dropped when log4j switched appenders
to the FallbackErrorHandler appender

If anybody has any information about fallback appenders in log4j 1.3, or are
using 1.3 with a homegrown work around, please advise.

Thanks,
Jonathan