From Sam Preston <j.sam.pres...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: logger as a Jini service?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:04:58 GMT
Hmmm...

The JmDNS solution looks promising, where might I find this
ZeroConfSocketHubAppender?

-Sam

On 2/1/06, Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com> wrote:
> The more appenders/receivers the better..
>
> The JMDNS (Java implementation of zeroconf/rendezvous/bonjour) option may work well for
you, as would a well-known multicast group using multicastappender/receiver.

> Paul wrote a ZeroConfSocketHubAppender - and it will work with log4j 1.2.x.
>
> Here's a viewcvs link to a page Paul wrote that describes log4j zeroconf support:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging/chainsaw/trunk/zeroconf/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/zeroconf/ZeroConfPlugin.html?view=markup
>
> You can find more info on JMDNS at http://jmdns.sourceforge.net/
>
> Paul, any comments?
>
> Scott Deboy
> COMOTIV SYSTEMS
> 111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
> Portland, OR  97201
>
> Telephone:      503.224.7496
> Cell:           503.997.1367
> Fax:            503.222.0185
>
> sdeboy@comotivsystems.com
>
> www.comotivsystems.com

messages or not, and if you're in an environment that can send/receive multicast/udp packets.

> > Multicast/udp:
> > - Use the recently-added support for JMDNS in Chainsaw (thanks Paul)
> > - Use multicastappender (requires log4j 1.3 alpha on the appender side) and multicastreceiver
on a well-know multicast address

> > Reliable (files/database):
> > - Log to a database (DBAppender or custom logging) and use DBReceiver or CustomSQLDBReceiver)
> > - Use udpappender (log4j 1.3 alpha on appender side) and udpreceiver
> > - Use SocketHubAppender on each machine and have multiple plugin entries in the
Chainsaw config, one sockethubreceiver for each machine
> > - Write to a log file on each server and use multiple LogFilePatternReceivers or
VFSLogFilePatternReceivers if logs are accessible via ssh)