From Sam Preston <j.sam.pres...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: logger as a Jini service?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:43:25 GMT
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your recommendations.  I'm currently using
SocketHubAppenders, but it means that I have to know which computers
I'll be running loggers on.

I'm working on applications for a sample 'interactive workspace', a
room with hardware and software infrastructure for users coming and
going with their laptops, etc., and collaborating with each other.

The reason I'd like to use Jini is so when an application is started
on the local network, it could automatically register itself, and my
central logging application could immediately start receiving logging
events from it, without having to know what computer it is running on.

Has anyone else addressed this problem in a different way?  I'm
already using Jini services for other applications, so this was the
first solution that came to mind.  If no one else has a better idea, I
may end up writing my own AppenderService (an appender as a Jini
service)--would anyone else be interested in something like that?

Thanks again,
-Sam

On 2/1/06, Scott Deboy <sdeboy@comotivsystems.com> wrote:
> Not as a Jini service.
>
> How do you want to monitor them?
>
> If you'd like to use Chainsaw, there are a few options based on if you are ok losing
messages or not, and if you're in an environment that can send/receive multicast/udp packets.

> Multicast/udp:
> - Use the recently-added support for JMDNS in Chainsaw (thanks Paul)
> - Use multicastappender (requires log4j 1.3 alpha on the appender side) and multicastreceiver
on a well-know multicast address

> Reliable (files/database):
> - Log to a database (DBAppender or custom logging) and use DBReceiver or CustomSQLDBReceiver)
> - Use udpappender (log4j 1.3 alpha on appender side) and udpreceiver
> - Use SocketHubAppender on each machine and have multiple plugin entries in the Chainsaw
config, one sockethubreceiver for each machine
> - Write to a log file on each server and use multiple LogFilePatternReceivers or VFSLogFilePatternReceivers
if logs are accessible via ssh)