From Mark F <mfa...@knology.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat -- All Logs to Syslog
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:52:07 GMT
Jacob Kjome wrote:
> "commons-logging-api.jar" should be in CATALINA_HOME/bin.  "commons-logging.jar"
> and log4j.jar should be in CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.  Do *not* put
> "commons-logging.jar" in the "bin" directory, only "commons-logging-api.jar".
> Do you still have the CNFE problem?  If you still do, I'm not sure what to say?
>  I know this setup works fine with Tomcat-5.5.xx, which I would recommend moving
> to ASAP.
>
> Jake
I've moved to tomcat 5.5, I'm not sure I can stay at this version as it
is not officially supported by commercial software we use.

Still, I was hoping to work out the problem I'm having using it.

With 5.5 configured as you have suggested above I get:

INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener - The Apache
Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production
environments was not found on the java.library.path: /usr/share/tomcat/bin
             INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener -
The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in
production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
/usr/share/tomcat/bin
             ERROR main org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender - Attempted
to log with inactive appender named [S].
             INFO main org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol -
Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-80
             ERROR main org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender - Attempted
to log with inactive appender named [S].
             INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina -
Initialization processed in 643 ms
             INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina -
Initialization processed in 643 ms
             ERROR main org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender - Attempted
to log with inactive appender named [S].

What is meant by "inactive appender"?

Thanks,
-Mark