From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject big commit
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:01:34 GMT
Should fix Jake's problems, along with other things (see commit msg for details).

I don't like how I left what settings were being persisted (didn't persist table column model
but built a new list using it).  If you want to tweak things, go for it.

I was hoping locationInfo would work with chainsaw/logj4 alpha8 and 1.2.13, but no joy - events
were received but they didn't contain the location info...not sure why.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith [mailto:psmith@aconex.com]
Sent: Mon 2/6/2006 8:03 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: chainsaw help needed

On 07/02/2006, at 2:55 PM, Alison Ortega wrote:

> I set up log4j a couple of years back on my weblogic servers... xml
> config file, html and lf5 appenders, etc, and I was on the chainsaw
> site
> tonight
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
> and found that the links to documentation and installation docs didn't
> take me anywhere.  Can anyone point me to docs on how to
> install/configure chainsaw using log4j 1.28.xx?
> and what is webstart, and what is a jnlp file?

Chainsaw v2 is new, but it will still work with log4j 1.2.x.  I see
your application uses lf5 Appender, which is no longer supported.

Instead, what you would do is expose a SocketHubAppender in your
application, and have Chainsaw v2 connect to it via a matching
SocketReceiver.

Try installing Chainsaw by clicking on the Webstart Me Now button.
If you have Java 1.4 installed on your machine it should launch Java
and auto-install Chainsaw. If this does not work then your local
machine does not have a registered handler for the JNLP mime-type (an
indication that you don't have something installed right.)

You can try downloading the Unix/DOS standalone distribution of
Chainsaw, unpacking and running chainsaw.sh(or .bat, whatever your
local OS is ).

cheers,

Paul Smith