From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: logger as a Jini service?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:13:59 GMT
Not as a Jini service.

How do you want to monitor them?

If you'd like to use Chainsaw, there are a few options based on if you are ok losing messages
or not, and if you're in an environment that can send/receive multicast/udp packets.

Multicast/udp:
- Use the recently-added support for JMDNS in Chainsaw (thanks Paul)
- Use multicastappender (requires log4j 1.3 alpha on the appender side) and multicastreceiver
on a well-know multicast address

Reliable (files/database):
- Log to a database (DBAppender or custom logging) and use DBReceiver or CustomSQLDBReceiver)
- Use udpappender (log4j 1.3 alpha on appender side) and udpreceiver
- Use SocketHubAppender on each machine and have multiple plugin entries in the Chainsaw config,
one sockethubreceiver for each machine
- Write to a log file on each server and use multiple LogFilePatternReceivers or VFSLogFilePatternReceivers
if logs are accessible via ssh)

I'm sure there are other ways but these are a few.  Hope this helps.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201