From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging unicode characters with log4j
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:37:10 GMT

On Feb 1, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Crook, Laura wrote:

> I am attempting to set our logs up so that they will save Chinese
> characters properly, and I'm not having much luck.  We have a class
> which extends FileAppender, and in it I'm doing a brute-force
> appender.setEncoding("UTF-16"), but unfortunately I'm still seeing
> question marks in the log file.
>

> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this work?

Please confirm that the problem still occurs with the latest release
of log4j.  I recall some encoding related bugs that were fixed prior
to 1.2.12, but can't locate the exact bug reports.

Could you tell us the platform, JDK, and version of log4j you are using?

Can you open the log file with a hex editor?  Does it appear to be a
double byte file, that is every other byte is 00 in stretches of
English text.

Does the problem occur when FileAppender is used or only when using
your extension of FileAppender?