From "Thomas Svensen" <Thomas.Sven...@fast.no>
Subject Trouble specifing logFormat in LogFileReceiver
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:45:39 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to use Chainsaw to read our log files, which are in fact
generated by a C++ application, but conforms quite well with normal
log4j formats. Here is a sample line from our log:

[2006-02-01 15:33:57] INFO      :
no.fast.connector.framework.ConnectorManager@oslesp02.ad.fast.no:
articles: Finished running

I am trying to parse this data using a LogFileReceiver, and it is
working quite well! But I just can't get it to work 100%, because I
struggle with the logFormat. It seems impossible to get the "logger",
"message" and "NDC" right at the same time. Given the above log line, I
would hope to get these entries:

logger: no.fast.connector.framework.ConnectorManager (or with the
@osl...)
message: Finished running
ndc: articles (optionally, this could be part of the "message")

Anyway, I loose the "logger", or I loose the message :-(

I've tried all of these logformats (and more):
[TIMESTAMP] LEVEL : LOGGER: MESSAGE
[TIMESTAMP] LEVEL : LOGGER: NDC: MESSAGE
[TIMESTAMP] LEVEL :LOGGER: NDC: MESSAGE
[TIMESTAMP] LEVEL LOGGER: NDC: MESSAGE
etc.

For some version, Chainsaw logs an "Invalid filter expression", but for
most, I just get the wrong data in the wrong fields.

Any help on how to get a working logFormat would be highly appreciated!

As a last resort, I'll consider building my own version. Any hints on
how to easily to that would also be nice :-)

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Svensen
Senior Solutions Engineer
Fast Search & Transfer