From Kamal Ahmed <KAh...@webMethods.com>
Subject unit test decide(LoggingEvent inEvent)
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:33:49 GMT
Hi,
Could you please give me some CLUE, on how to proceed to test the following
method:
    public int decide(LoggingEvent inEvent) {

            boolean retCode = false;

            if (inEvent != null) {

                Matcher matcher =
targetPattern.matcher(inEvent.getLoggerName());

                retCode = (matcher.find() == acceptMatch);

            }

            return (retCode) ? Filter.NEUTRAL : Filter.DENY;

        }

Now i need to write a junit test for this, but I am not sure WHERE to start?

1. Should i create a NEW instance of the class this method belongs to?

2. How do i get an "inEvent" of type LoggingEvent?

3. So this is how i have started writing test case for the method, decide(),
based on:

The General form of Junit test follows the following steps:

1. Create an object and put it in a known state
2. Invoke a method which returns the "actual result"
3. Create the "expected result" which may be a primitive value or a more
complex object.
4. Invoke "assertEquals(expectedResult,actualResult)

    public int testdecide() {
                   int result=0;

                   // WmLoggerFilter subjectWmLoggerFilter = new
WmLoggerFilter();

                   return result;
          }
Since WmLoggerFilter is the class that contains testdecide()
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,

-Kamal.