From "Tobias Mantsch" <t.mant...@durato.de>
Subject AW: Logger.error
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:20:19 GMT
It is correct to write it the way you wrote. As an alternative you could also write something
like the following:

try {
	//something
} catch (Exception e) {
	logger.error("Exception in <yourMethodName>", e);
}

The logger provides a method to log a message of type String and a Throwable, so you don't
have to concatenate the strings in the log-message.

But I would definitely not alter the constructor of PortletException so that it handles the
logging itself. Especially in your example there would be no benefit from it, as there still
would be the possibility of a IOException to be thrown and thus you would still have to catch
this one and log it.
As a second side effect you would limit the usability of PortletException as it would always
depend on log4j. So I would consider it not very good design to let the Exception execute
the logging.

Regards

Tobias Mantsch

durato Ltd.