From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: logger as a Jini service?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:21:54 GMT
This is coming RSN, seriously I promise., I just want to get the next
version of Chainsaw out with the latest in the distribution
mechanism, and then complete the ZeroConf stuff and then release
that.  A lot of the remaining is tidying up the documentation,
however I have been side tracked by a major release at my work.

The idea is that one adds 2 jars to their application that does the
logging (jmdns.jar and the log4j-zeroconf.jar), add "ZeroConf" in
front of SocketAppender in the log4j configuration, and viola,
Chainsaw detects it on the local network.

I'm then going to add the same principles with an embedded ActiveMQ
broker allowing really quick buffered and async delivery of
LoggingEvents.  ActiveMQ and JmDNS work really well together as well,
so it'll be straight forward.  ActiveMQ is an ASL project now (w00t),
and a great JMS provider.  By being able to embed a local ActiveMQ
broker inside the application solves a lot of messy JMS setup, and is
extremely useful for the majority of use cases that I can see.  Those
users that already have a corporate JMS queue can still use the
traditional methods.

Paul