From Mark Masterson <mark_master...@compuserve.com>
Subject Re: Generating SNMP traps from Java Application
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:51:11 GMT
Hi Swarna,

Ah, fantastic.  Swarna, I've been meaning to get to your mail (to me
directly) for about a week now, but I wanted to "cc" my reply to the
log4j list, since most of your questions are generic log4j questions,
and not specific to the SNMPTrapAppender.
(http://www.m2technologies.net/asp/snmpTrapAppender.asp)

1. Bender has already explained what you need to do in your Java code,
to achieve what you want.  But just to be sure it's clear, and using
Bender's example further, here's what your code would then look like:

logger.warn("Logging a trap out to somewhere...") // this is *your*
logger, the one you already had...
mySnmpLogger.warn("This goes out to a trap") // this is the new, extra
logger, that you use to send traps.

2.  You don't install JoeSnmp, or Wengsoft, or Snmp4j, for that matter.
You add the relevant Jar to your CLASSPATH, and that's it.  Where that
is/what that means is application specific, and you're going to have to
tell us a whole lot more about your application, if you need us to help
you with that.

3. The changes that you need to make in the log4j.xml file are rather
extensively documented on my Web site, and in the Javadocs for the
appender, which come with the download.  See here --
http://www.m2technologies.net/html/doc/org/apache/log4j/ext/SNMPTrapAppender.html
-- for example.

4.  How can you test it?  Now, that's a good question.  There is no easy
way to "catch" traps in a unit test, so it's difficult to do a pure unit
test.  If anybody has an idea on how to do this, I'd be all ears.  In
the meantime, if you've access to a Windows PC, I suggest Ncomtech's
free Trap Receiver program (http://www.ncomtech.com/download.htm).  Set
it up to be the "listening end" (i.e. localhost and some free port in
your log4j.xml, and set up the Trap Receiver to listen on this port),
and you can use it to receive traps that you generate with your unit tests.

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark