From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: VFSLogFilePatternReceiver usage?
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:10:01 GMT

You're probably missing ORO or commons-logging in the plugins directory.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: Fri 12/9/2005 7:43 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: VFSLogFilePatternReceiver usage?

Quoting Paul Smith <psmith@aconex.com>:

> First question, did you tick the "Ok to remove SecurityManager" in
> the application preferences?  If this is not ticked, particularly
> with the Webstart version it's impossible load stuff from the plugins
> directory.  By ticking this box, you turn off the SecurityManager,
> and allow a TCL to be created, which knows how to load classes from
> the .plugins area.

Yep, I did that, then put my config URL in the global settings, restarted,  and
now it fails on startup with this error...

	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org/apache/commons/vfs/FileSystemException
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.activateOptions(VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.java:136)
	at org.apache.log4j.joran.action.PluginAction.end(PluginAction.java:88)
	at org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.Interpreter.callEndAction(Interpreter.java:274)
	at org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.Interpreter.endElement(Interpreter.java:155)
	at
org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument$EndElementEvent.replay(JoranDocument.java:206)
	at org.apache.log4j.joran.spi.JoranDocument.replay(JoranDocument.java:113)
	at
org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator.doConfigure(JoranConfigurator.java:170)
	at
org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator.doConfigure(JoranConfigurator.java:89)
	at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.loadConfigurationUsingPluginClassLoader(LogUI.java:1846)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.createChainsawGUI(LogUI.java:314)
	at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.main(LogUI.java:250)
	... 11 more

> Having said that, it's possible that the last Webstart build somehow
> broke VFS compatibility.  Scott?  If this is the case, I could fast
> track a new build.  Does the same thing happen if you check out log4j-
> chainsaw SVN project and run it via 'ant chainsaw' ?

I don't have access to do that at work.  I could see if I can download a tarball
of the latest source and try it.  I'll see what I can do.

Jake