From Charles Tuckey <ctuc...@gmail.com>
Subject DOMConfigurator configure methods do not report failure
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:15:43 GMT
Hi,

We have a standalone application where the user will be responsible for
modifying the log4j XML logging properties file as they require and/or wish.
So, this means that it is likely they will create invalid XML at some point.
My problem is that the DOMConfigurator configure methods catch all
exceptions and do not report errors programmatically, either through
throwing exceptions or by return value. Instead they write messages to
System.out and System.err. I realize I can prevent these messages from
appearing by setting 'quiet mode' to false.

However, what I really want to do in my code is detect when an error
occurred in the parsing of the XML file and take appropriate action. This
might be informing the user somehow, or by reading in a default XML
properties file or both.

I have looked through the mailing lists and the Bug database and can't find
any discussion on this beyond one email in 2001 that was not replied to. Has
this been an issue for anyone else? Has any thought been given to changing
the action of the configure methods?

--
charlie