From "Rakesh Patel" <Rakesh.Pa...@sharepeople.com>
Subject RE: Cannot turn off logging when using JUnit
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:04:27 GMT
I am indeed using the 1.3 alpha version.

However, adding this line makes no difference:

log4j.logger.org.apache.log4j=WARN

Jake, your last paragraph contradicts itself. You say the internal code
cannot be overriden and then you say it can?

Any idea when the next release will fix this (no time to build from
source)?

Thanks

Rakesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: 28 September 2005 23:14
To: Log4J Users List; Mark Womack
Subject: Re: Cannot turn off logging when using JUnit

Quoting Mark Womack <mwomack@apache.org>:

> Can we assume that you are using the 1.3 alpha version? You will want
> to add configuration to set org.apache.log4j to WARN/ERROR or OFF.

I think at some point, the auto-logging of logger creation internal to
Log4j-1.3 in CVS was removed.  The current release alpha still has it
turned on no matter what.

I suggest either waiting for the next alpha release or building yourself
from source.  Note that, besides this, you control log4j internal
logging using normal log4j configuration, just like any other logger.
So, if you want to turn off log4j logging, then make sure to set the
level pretty high for the org.apache.log4j logger.

Jake

> hth,
> -Mark
>
> On 9/28/05, Rakesh Patel <Rakesh.Patel@sharepeople.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a test set up that logs and also the class under test logs
> > too.
> >
> > I want to turn of logging at times but am finding that the console
> > ALWAYS logs INFO messages of the loggers being created (my user
> > defined log entries are not displayed).
> >
> > I've tried various settings in the property file but I just cannot
> > stop these entries going to the console.
> >
> > Here's my property file:
> >
> > log4j.rootLogger=OFF, stdout, R
> > log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
> > log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> >
> > # Print the date in ISO 8601 format
> > log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c -
> > %m%n
> >
> > #log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
> > log4j.appender.R.File=app.log
> >
> > log4j.appender.R.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> > log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p %c - %m%n
> >
> > # Vary level for packages log4j.logger.org.springframework=ERROR
> >
> > And here's the bit of my initialisation code in my Junit setUp:
> >
> > protected void setUp() throws Exception {
> >
> > PropertyConfigurator.configure("c:/Projects/FETServer/conf/log4j.pro
> > pert
> > ies");
> > // initialise datasource
> > _logger.info("One-time setUp()");
> > _logger.info("intializing connection...");
> > dataSource = new SingleConnectionDataSource();
> > dataSource.setDriverClassName(
> > "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
> > dataSource.setUrl(
> > "jdbc:oracle:thin:@132.25.50.69:1521:ORCL01");
> > dataSource.setUsername("scott");
> > dataSource.setPassword("tiger");
> >
> > dao = new SampleDao(dataSource);
> > }
> >
> > And here's whats going to the console:
> >
> > *** configurationOptionStr=null
> > ** End of LogManager static initializer
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger [com.amex.ifst.fet.dao.TestSampleDao]

> > in repository [default]. log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.apache.log4j] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator]
> > in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
[org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter]
> > in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.springframework] in repository
> > [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger
> > [org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in
repository
> > [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.SingleConnectionDataSource] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger [com.amex.ifst.fet.dao.SampleDao] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate] in repository
[default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceUtils] in repository
> > [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionSynchronizationManag
> > er] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.support.JdbcUtils] in repository
[default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.jdbc.support.SQLErrorCodeSQLExceptionTranslator] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.support.SQLStateSQLExceptionTranslator] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.jdbc.support.SQLErrorCodesFactory] in
repository
> > [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory]
> > in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.beans.factory.support.CglibSubclassingInstantiation
> > Strategy] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver
> > ] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.ResourceEntityResolver] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser]
> > in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.core.CollectionFactory] in repository
[default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl] in repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.core.io.AbstractPathResolvingPropertyEditor] in
> > repository [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger
> > [org.springframework.beans.CachedIntrospectionResults] in repository
> > [default].
> > log4j:INFO Creating new logger

[org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver]