From Tom Drake <Tom.Dr...@tavant.com>
Subject RE: Custom level question
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:37:42 GMT

  public final static int FATAL_INT = 50000;
  public final static int ERROR_INT = 40000;
  public final static int WARN_INT  = 30000;
  public final static int INFO_INT  = 20000;
  public final static int DEBUG_INT = 10000;

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Pruitt [mailto:SPruitt@exstream.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:34 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Custom level question

All,

I am adding a custom level for my application.  The level name is SESSION
and it has a severity level between INFO and WARN. Documentation says each
level must have a unique integer value.  I'm not sure how to define the
value for my level.  Looks like it could either be INFO + 1 or WARN - 1.
But, I am a little confused.  If the existing levels are in simple order,
doesn't INFO + 1 = WARN and wouldn't it violate the uniqueness rule.  Or, is
there some progression used to separate the builtin level values to make
room for custom levels.  Or, do I completely misunderstand how the builtin
levels are implemented?

-S