From "Jerry King" <jk...@handmark.com>
Subject syslogging in log4j
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:31:59 GMT
I am converting our PHP code to java and am able to write to the syslog
using PHP supplied functions, but have not been able to use log4j to supply
that same behavior.  My config file looks like this:
# define syslog appender
log4j.debug=true
log4j.appender.S=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.S.SyslogHost=somehost.com
log4j.appender.S.Facility=local5
log4j.appender.S.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.S.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}: %p %c -
%m%n
# add appender to logger
log4j.logger.test.TestClass=DEBUG, Z

Do you guys see anything wrong with my setup or know of any better way to
debug this problem?
The output I get with debug enabled is:
log4j: Parsing for [test.TestClass] with value=[DEBUG, S].
log4j: Level token is [DEBUG].
log4j: Category test.TestClass set to DEBUG
log4j: Parsing appender named "S".
log4j: Parsing layout options for "S".
log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss}: %p
log4j: End of parsing for "S".
log4j: Setting property [syslogHost] to [somehost.com].
log4j: Setting property [facility] to [local5].
log4j: Parsed "S" options.
log4j: Handling log4j.additivity.test.TestClass=[null]
log4j: Finished configuring.

Thanks in advance!
Jerry