From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: R: R: DailyRollingFileAppender rolls but...
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:15:37 GMT
Quoting Fabrizio Squittieri <f.squittieri@comune.prato.it>:

> Well, i can i say if i've got or not multiple log4j instances on a shared
> server?
> I've put log4j jar under  JRE lib/ext  so i presumed anyone would have to use
> this and only this log4j instance, as is i've got a tomcat under which
> several webapps are running and i've a bunch of standalone (batches) java
> apps running at specified times.
> How can i force anyone to share the very same instance of log4j in order to
> avoid this behavoiur?

The problem is two VM's trying to roll one logging file.  The single "instance"
log4j.jar in lib/ext is different from "instance" as it pertains to runtime
instances.  Each JVM will have an instance of Log4j.  If each of these Log4j
instances use the same Log4j config file which points to the same logging file
to do appending and/or rolling, you will run into problems.  It shouldn't be an
issue within the same VM using the same instance of Log4j (actually, "instance"
could be further defined as Log4j instance per classloader, assuming Log4j is
being used in 2 classloaders in the same JVM where neither can see each other.
I think you'd have the same problem).  The file handle issue that Curt mentions
could happen in the case where one instance of Log4j is running in a JVM and
the classloader for the instance is restarted, such as in a webapp, without
restarting the server.  It is necessary that LogManager.shutdown() be called
before the classloader is stopped in order for file handles to be released.  If
the file handles are not released, you'll get the same problematic behavior as
previously described for Log4j in 2 JVM's accessing the same log file.

Jake