From "Bruno Melloni" <Bruno.Mell...@akuratus.com>
Subject Re: Log4j logging under Tomcat5 (was Re: Multiple Projects Using Same Logger)
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 11:41:16 GMT
FYI, I have seen this behavior in one of the 4.0x versions of jBoss too
(probably because it uses Tomcat).  In any case, by 4.0.2 they had fixed
it, so there might be a correction for Tomcat itself too.

Bruno Melloni
Director of Software Architecture
Akuratus Corporation
1333 N. Stemmons Fwy, Suite 110
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 469.227.0920
Fax: 469.227.0967
bruno.melloni@akuratus.com
www.akuratus.com

>>> aronbock@hotmail.com 5/23/2005 1:19:11 AM >>>
Hi Jacob, yes, I did think it odd that a web server/servlet container
(Tomcat) should pick up a properties file in one of its web apps!  I
now
think the more sane explanation is that I was hasty in my offhand
reporting,
and that the "ton" of output I saw was from JSF, not Tomcat.  That
would
make a little more sense, because all JSF jars are in WEB-INF/lib of
the
webapp.  And, again, as mentioned, JSF was in the mix when I noticed
the
same kind of copious output under Sun Web Server.

I should set root logger to DEBUG and look more closely at the output.

Regards,

--A

>Log4j uses the thread context classloader to locate/load the property
file,
>but the thread wouldn't have been started from the webapp, so I don't
see
>how that would come into play here?  Do you, somehow, have
WEB-INF/classes