From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Projects Using Same Logger
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 20:17:11 GMT

classes in jars that are put in WEB-INF/lib are run in exactly the same
classloader as those in WEB-INF/classes.  You need not do all the checking
of appenders and such.  In fact, you are probably making bad assumptions on
behavior which is why you only ever see the System.out message.  Simply do...

logger.info("log message");

No need to have the extra logMessage() method either.  You are hardcoding
Level.INFO, so why not just use logger.info() directly in getBar()?

If you see no output from this, then you haven't configured things
properly.  However, based on your configuration below, any class in com.foo
should log to info or higher severity and any class in com.bar should log
to debug or higher severity.  Classes not in those packages (and are not
children of those packages) will log to error or higher severity.  All
logging should go to the console appender which has been added to the root
logger which all other loggers will inherit from.

BTW, are you doing anything special in your InitServlet?  If not, just let
autoconfiguration work for you.  It will find log4j.properties and perform
configuration in a static initializer by default.  No need to do this
manually unless you are doing something special.  You are really over
engineering this.  KISS.

Jake