From Clandes Tino <clandestino_...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: log4j stops logging at console
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 16:21:45 GMT
Hello people,
here is the scenario, which causes console logging to
stop.

Remote application (RMI server App), which is made by
third party is started by batch file. Configuration
file for log4j is found during startup and loggers are
created, by using custom log4j.loggerFactory

I entered some debug statements and saw that loggers
are loaded with classLoader
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@e80a59

Maybe it is important to tell you that there is used
bad practice to have "almighty" class with many static
properties, among which are the loggers.

The second side of story is my client ear application
under JBoss.
Classes in my application depend on classes from RMI
Server App, they need to have them in classpath in
compile time. But in the runtime, classes from RMI
server are not deployed anywhere else. Jboss is
started with expanded JBOSS_CLASSPATH variable,
changed in run.bat, containing paths to those classes.

During startup, my MBean loaded by JBoss classloader
org.jboss.mx.loading.UnifiedClassLoader3@e0a3f2 tries
to connect to RMI Server and to obtain some remote
class. But then above mentioned class on RMI Server
side (containing constants and loggers as static
members) is loaded again, this time with
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@67ac19

Configuration file for log4j is parsed again and after
PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(s, 60000L), I
lose logging on Jboss CONSOLE, but logging to file
remains.

I hope, I gave you enough information.
Any help, suggestion or hint would be more than
welcome.
Best regards
Milan