From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generating Log files with specified File Encoding type- UTF8, Latin 1
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 13:54:28 GMT
Try using "UTF-8".  The encoding gets passed down to the Java class
library which supports at a minimum the 6 encoding names listed at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/nio/charset/
Charset.html,  If you go off this list, you are depending on
implementation or platform specific features.

I recently added a test to the CVS HEAD tests/src/java/org/apache/
log4j/EncodingTest.java to check encoding specifications.  You will
need to use a test string containing non US-ASCII characters if you
want to see the effects of encoding specifications, "asdfd..." won't
show anything.