From "Jeff Drew" <j...@tradingmetrics.com>
Subject use log4j for error transmission?
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 22:51:17 GMT
I'd appreciate thoughts on a design question I'm considering.

I would like to send some error messages from my analysis server to another software module
that basically creates the output data.  These modules communicate via an ObjectOutputStream.
 These error messages will have most of the same information as the logging message.  The
presentation will be similar to Chainsaw.

These basic similarities made me consider using log4j messages as the error message objects.
 I would create a log4j message within my analysis server, then transmit it to the output
module.  The output module might be able to take advantage of Chainsaw.   I'm familiar with
writing log4j messages to Loggers.

Can I instantiate a log message? something like:    Log4jMessage message = new Log4jMessage(priority,
text, time);

Is this idea a poor bastardization of log4j or a good idea?

Thanks

Jeff