From "Andy McBride" <andy.mcbr...@pcmsgroup.com>
Subject Re: problems with chainsaw build
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:43:48 GMT
Hi,

The 'jar' task depends on 'chainsaw.jar' which just jars
up what is there.

'chainsaw.jar' target only depends on 'build', I think it
also needs to depend on 'build.chainsaw'

Regards

Andy

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:11:57 +1100
  Paul Smith <psmith@aconex.com> wrote:
>I'm a bit confused as to why "jar" _not_ but "chainsaw"
>is, because "chainsaw" depends on "jar" (at least I
>thought it did).
>
>Jacob Kjome wrote:
>
>> At 09:37 AM 12/15/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>> >Curt,
>> >
>> >you need to run the 'chainsaw' target
>> >
>> >Scott
>> >

>> Scott, why would we allow the build to generate a
>>chainsaw jar that
>> wasn't valid?  If "jar" is supposed to build all the jar
>>artifacts of
>> the build, then the "chainsaw" target should be a
>>dependency of the
>> "jar" target.  If we don't want to have this dependency,
>>then the
>> chainsaw jar should not be built by running the "jar"
>>target, only the
>> log4j jar.  My view of build files is that the user
>>should never,
>> ever, be able to run something that doesn't produce a
>>valid result.
>> The build should take care of these dependencies
>>relieving the user of
>> having to think about it.  Any other behavior is a bug.
>>

>> Jake

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person or
privileged material.  If You are not the intended recipient of this e-mail,
the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or distribution is
Prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The views
expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be the views of The PCMS Group
plc and should not be taken as authority to carry out any instruction
contained.