From Fredrik Jonson <fred...@myrealbox.com>
Subject Example policies for log levels?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:12:34 GMT
Hello,

I'm wondering, is there any article or document available that
discuss how to decide on which log levels is suitable for what kind
of application errors? I understand that it is rather application and
domain specific, but anyway. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Just as an example, in my first logging effort in a servlet projects,
here's what I've used.

  * FATAL is "application is dying and is unusable".
  * I use ERROR for all caught exceptions, where the app normally
    survives, but is unable to respond in a predictable manor.
  * ALL gory details are pushed as DEBUG (Basically the rest ended up
    in debug.

As you see I didn't use either WARN nor INFO, and that makes me wonder
how other people use the different log levels. So, anyone feel like
sharing?

TIA & regards,
--
Fredrik Jonson