From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Example policies for log levels?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:54:16 GMT
Just my $0.02.
I agree with your use of FATAL, ERROR and DEBUG.

I also use ERROR in some cases when logging something that has gone wrong, even though the
result is predictable.

I use WARN for things that should not cause the application to fail, but are not the "expected"
use case, and may cause unexpected (though correct) behaviour, or some quasi-anticipated exception
conditions that are fully recoverable and normally down to "user error".

I don't think I generally use INFO.

Hope this helps
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Fredrik Jonson [mailto:fredrik@myrealbox.com]
Sent: 07 December 2004 10:13
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Example policies for log levels?

Hello,

I'm wondering, is there any article or document available that
discuss how to decide on which log levels is suitable for what kind
of application errors? I understand that it is rather application and
domain specific, but anyway. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Just as an example, in my first logging effort in a servlet projects,
here's what I've used.

  * FATAL is "application is dying and is unusable".
  * I use ERROR for all caught exceptions, where the app normally
    survives, but is unable to respond in a predictable manor.
  * ALL gory details are pushed as DEBUG (Basically the rest ended up
    in debug.

As you see I didn't use either WARN nor INFO, and that makes me wonder
how other people use the different log levels. So, anyone feel like
sharing?

TIA & regards,
--
Fredrik Jonson