From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: problems with chainsaw build
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:37:27 GMT

On Dec 15, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

> I just did an "ant clean" then an "ant jar" and the chainsaw jar DOES
> contain LogUI.
>
> So unless the local environment is missing something that is
> preventing it from building all of Chainsaw (maybe regexp library not
> there?).
>
> Curt, maybe you could email me or Scott the jar that gets built, along
> with the output of whatever "ant jar" gives you.

The partial chainsaw jar only occurs when chainsaw-libraries-present is
not set.  In that case, the body of the build.chainsaw task is skipped
due to the if condition not being set.  However, chainsaw.jar doesn't
have the same if condition so its body will be executed regardless of
the state of chainsaw-libraries-present.  The easiest way to reproduce
it is to rename your build.properties so jakarta-oro is not located
(might need to make sure it is off the classpath too).

I had not been trying to build chainsaw and had not set a
build.properties file since it is not necessary to build a functional
log4j.

One approach would be to add the if condition to the chainsaw.jar task,
so that if the body of build.chainsaw is skipped the body of the
chainsaw.jar task is skipped.   Adding that condition would result in
only log4j.jar being created under the conditions described.

The other would be to fail build.chainsaw if the libraries were
missing.  To build just log4j.jar, you would need to build the
log4j.jar target.

p.s. Ant FAQ on if and unless not affecting dependent tasks:
http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#stop-dependency.