From "Shai Simchi" <Shai.Sim...@invoke.com>
Subject question regarding roll over mechanism
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:52:46 GMT
Hi !
I am using the org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender to roll log files once they reach the
size of 10MB (I am using log4j version 1.2.8).
assuming in my log folder i have the following files:
file.log
file.log.1
file.log.2
file.log.3

once i have a roll over (file.log reaches 10MB) there is a renaming of all the files:
file.log->file.log.1
file.log.1->file.log.2
file.log.2->file.log.3
file.log.3->file.log.4

is this rollover mechanism configurable ? meaning, can i determine that instead of that mechanism
i want the logs to roll in an ascending way ?
assuming i have
file.log
file.log.1

the next roll over will create
file.log.2 from file.log

are there any other changes in that mechanism in the new versions ?

thanks,

Shai Simchi
Invoke Solutions Ltd.
+972-3-5756828 (ext. 206)