From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: CustomSQLDBReceiver in Chainsaw
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:50:55 GMT
A couple of things:

Are you running Chainsaw through webStart?

Your db driver jar must be in the classpath - jre/lib/ext if using WebStart.

The JavaDoc describe some restrictions that are in place to use CustomSQLDBReceiver:

- You must have an identity column and specify that field as the IDField param.
- All of the event fields must be defined in the SQL statement, even if you don't have columns
for them in your database
- Unless you specify 'application' and 'hostname' params, the events may show up on the chainsaw-log
tab (but more likely) an empty tab.

There is an example receiver configuration on Chainsaw's Welcome tab that shows an example
CustomSQLDBReceiver config.

When running, look on the chainsaw-log tab for messages containing 'lastID' - this will tell
you if your sql is executing, because lastID is the highest value of the identity field that
the receiver was able to retrieve from the database.

Let me know if you have more questions,
Scott