From "Adriano Labate" <adriano.lab...@sportaccess.com>
Subject Multiple DailyRollingFileAppender on the same file : renaming fails
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:06:21 GMT
Hi,

I just resolved a problem with the DailyRollingFileAppender and I just want to share my experience
with others. If it can help someone...

When it was time to rollover the file, I got the error:

"log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [c:/temp/mspak/monitoring/transferService.log] to [c:/temp/mspak/monitoring/transferService.log.2004-11-25.log]."

I search on Google for this error and found around 200 results and realized that it was a
problem for a lot of people.

As I use log4j with the Oracle JVM I supposed that it was an Oracle issue with I/O or permissions.
After a lot of discussions with the Oracle support, it was definitely not the case.

I noted that a lot of discussions talked about the possibility that the file has a handle
on it that prevents log4j to rename the file.

To be sure I installed and run 2 tools from www.sysinternals.com : Handle and Process Explorer.

Running Handle I got :

--------------
C:\>handle -u transferservice.log
Handle v2.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

oracle.exe         pid: 984    AUTORITE NT\SYSTEM        C:\TEMP\MSPAK\monitoring\transferService.log
oracle.exe         pid: 984    AUTORITE NT\SYSTEM        C:\TEMP\MSPAK\monitoring\transferService.log
--------------

There was indeed two handles on my log file. I double checked with Process Explorer (a GUI
app) and confirmed that Oracle maintained two handles on my log file. Now I was sure that
it was a file handle problem.

Then I got a flash and realized that in my log4j.xml configuration file I have two daily rolling
file appenders that pointed on the same physical file.

I tried to keep only one of them. Retried and YES, there was now only one handle on the file!
Tested the rollover and it finally worked!

My configuration file was :

--------------
    <!-- Daily Rolling File Appender -->
    <appender name="DRFA" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
        <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>
        <param name="File" value="c:/temp/mspak/monitoring/transferService.log"/>
        <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd'.log'"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{dd.MM HH:mm:ss:SSS} %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>

    <!-- Daily Rolling File Appender   WARNING: disabled because file renaming fails!!!
    <appender name="DRFA-blankpattern" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
        <param name="File" value="c:/temp/mspak/monitoring/transferService.log"/>
        <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd'.log'"/>
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%m%n"/>
        </layout>
    </appender>
    -->

I have now a question:

I didn't tried to use that configuration outside of Oracle, is it wrong to use 2 appenders
pointing on the same file (windows xp) ?
I searched on the Gülcü log4j manual but didn't found anything. Has anyone tried to use
this kind of configuration ?

I know that the Oracle JVM handles the threading differently than the Sun JVM, so it can also
explain the problem.

Adriano Labate