From "Rieser, Michael \(SCI TW\)" <Michael_Rieser...@stercomm.com>
Subject RE: ObjectRenderers
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:01:45 GMT

> >THIS IS NOT A CONTRIBUTION.
>
> What does this disclaimer supposed to mean, that we should not read
> it? If we can't read it, then why are you posting it on an open forum?

Again, sorry, but the legal department has commanded us to do this. I'm just trying to comply
with their instructions, but also answer reasonable questions, and your help is appreciated.

I'm caught in the conflict of wanting to answer your question:
	"Would you care to explain how you'd like exceptions to be displayed?"

and the fact that all information sent to Apache is deemed by Apache to be a contribution
unless otherwise stated, therefore the legal department has required us to put "NOT A CONTRIBUTION"
on things sent to Apache.

I believe legal's concern comes from the following definition in the Apache 2.0 License.

      "Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including
      the original version of the Work and any modifications or additions
      to that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally
      submitted to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner
      or by an individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of
      the copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted"
      means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent
      to the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to
      communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems,
      and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the
      Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but
      excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise
      designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."

So, it is due to Apache's License that we are instructed to do what we do.

(Personally, I don't know what rights we have to things posted publicly if we are rejecting
the covering of Apache's License to them. But I'll just continue to follow their instructions.)

> >Sorry, our lawyer requires me to do this.
>
> I am sorry too. We can't have a conversation with a lawyer breathing
> down our necks.

Agreed.

I'd like to continue this conversation, can we forgive the occasional legalese?

Thanks,
Mike