From Tom.Goe...@kp.org
Subject Re: Question about implementation of SocketAppender
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:00:47 GMT
--
Tom Goetze

At 09:04 PM 8/5/2004, you wrote:
>Anyone know why the SocketAppender doesn't have a "setter" for the
>"address" member variable.

Address is the internal representation of the remoteHost variable.

Tom: But it only gets used once (to be checked for null). In the connect
method, the parameter named address (not the local member variable) is
actually
used for work.

>This appears to make it impossible to extend the class (since the connect
>method checks this.address for null and returns if it is true--even
though
>the method takes an InetAddress as a parameter, and the parameter value
is
>the one that is used in the method).

connect is also a default access (package protected) method.

Tom: You're right, this also needs to be changed.

>It seems to me that the "address" member variable could be removed
>entirely, and the check in connect could be removed, then sub-classing
>would be possible and the current logic would remain.

This does not makes sense.

>Any comments? Any log4j developers that want to implement this trivial
>change?

At this stage, there is clearly a misunderstanding. As far as I can tell,
there is no trivial change.

--
Ceki Gülcü