From Davidson.Hut...@ftid.com
Subject Re: Configuration Question
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:12:33 GMT

Mike

This is an answer for log4J 1.3 alpha (not 1.2.8)
Set up your socket appender as a SocketHubAppender which can service
multiple chainsaw gui's using SocketHubReceiver
Note the Buffersize parameter that saves old logs and sends them to
chainsaw when you connect.
Chainsaw can have a config file... sample below ...

chainsaw.xml :

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" >

    <plugin name="SocketHubReceiver"
            class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketHubReceiver">
      <param name="Host" value="yourhostname"/>
      <param name="Port" value="4445"/>
      <param name="Name" value="demo"/>
      <param name="LocationInfo" value="true"/>
    </plugin>
</log4j:configuration>

log4j.xml (snippet) running on yourhostname :

<appender name="SocketHub" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketHubAppender">
     <param name="Threshold" value="WARN"/>
     <param name="Port" value="4445"/>
     <param name="BufferSize" value="1000"/>
     <param name="LocationInfo" value="true"/>
</appender>

                      "Perry, Mike"

                      <MPERRY@kheaa.com        To:       "Log4J Users List (E-mail)" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>

                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  Configuration Question

                      07/22/2004 08:06

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Log4J Users

                      List"

Hi everyone, please forgive my ignorance for asking the obvious, here is
what I am attempting to do:      We are running the IBM WebSphere
Application Server, v4.0, on an iSeries box.   Our applications will log to
multiple files and utilize the socket appender to send specific errors to
Chainsaw v2.   What I would like to know is, how can I set up Chainsaw V2
on
a client and have the errors reported to Chainsaw from the application
server.   The client will have JDK 1.4 on it.   Does chainsaw have a
configuration file that needs to be modified to communicate with a server?

again please forgive my ignorance, I am brand new to logging and chainsaw.
Any advice or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Perry