From "Mark Masterson" <m.master...@computer.org>
Subject RE: Anyone using SNMPTrapAppender?
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:42:58 GMT
>>Arbitrary name/value pairs would still need set via MDC.<<

Yeah, of course, this would work!  Great tip, Scott.

I guess the only conceivable drawback to MDC is that it's not a pure
configuration-based solution, but requires Java code.  That kind of takes a
bit of the wind out of the sermon in my first mail!  :D

As for the host name, etc -- actually, those are already parts of the trap
the appender sends.  But arbitrary port numbers are not, of course, and
that's where the MDC trick would be useful. I don't use MDC much myself, and
didn't think of it, but I was hoping some Chainsaw guru might take the bait,
and tell us how this (obviously common) problem is typically solved there.
Thanks for jumping in!

For the record, in case there are lurkers out there who are interested, I
will update the appender, and release a new version of it to accompany the
release of log4j 1.3.  I won't do that, however, until the final release of
1.3.

Cheers,
Mark