From James Stauffer <jstau...@spscommerce.com>
Subject RE: Decorating output before RollingFileAppender
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:57:28 GMT
RollingFileAppender extends FileAppender so it takes a PatternLayout also.

James Stauffer

-----Original Message-----
From: F Kurzawa [mailto:majortaylor@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 10:55 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Decorating output before RollingFileAppender

I want to format and modify my log4j output prior to sending to a
RollingFileAppender.

If there were functionality that would allow me to easily apply a
PatternLayout prior to sending to a RollingFileAppender that would be ideal.

I can insert an AsyncAppender before my RollingFileAppender, but
AsyncAppender does not take a PatternLayout parameter so it doesn't help.

In fact, the only two appenders that take PatternLayout arguments are the
*FileAppender's and ConsoleAppender.

Is there a simple way to decorate my output with a PatternLayout (or some
similar functionality) prior to its arrival in a RollingFileAppender?

Thanks in advance,

Frank