From James Stauffer <jstau...@spscommerce.com>
Subject RE: Logging to Database: max column size
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 13:18:13 GMT
>From my experience Oracle fails the insert.  If I remember correctly MS SQL
was link MySQL in that it truncated.  Too bad I am stuck with Oracle.  I'll
check if that can be changed at all. Thanks!

James Stauffer

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 8:16 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: Logging to Database: max column size

At 02:49 PM 5/11/2004, James Stauffer wrote:
>Thanks.  That should solve that stack trace size problem.  I assume
>then even though the comment in the code says varchar(256) I could
>increase that up to varchar(4000) if I desire.

Sure, you can increase the size of the field when you create the table if
you so desire.

>I would like to store a large value (actually the contents of a file)
>in an MDC value.  How would you suggest that I handle that?  I actually
>wouldn't care if the value was truncated at some reasonable limit.

It should not be the responsibility of the end user to worry about field
sizes. At the very least, DBAppender should not barf if one of the fields
has a length larger than the default limit. MySQL is reputed to perform
automatic truncation when the input is larger than the allowed capacity.
Some databases may choose to perform automatic enlargement of the field
size. We'll have to check the behavior of PostgreSQL, Oracle and DB2 in this
case.

--
Ceki Gülcü