From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: FW: Logging in Tomcat from classes in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 17:17:22 GMT

It looks like this problem is a variant of the "Logging separation problem"
discussed at:

   https://www.qos.ch/logging/sc.html

You have several options

1) use JNDIContextSelector which is natively supported in log4j 1.3 (still
in development)

2) write your own selector which fetches repositories from a ThreadLocal.
This approach assumes that a
<file://HttpSessionListener.html>HttpSessionListener or a filter places the
correct repository before serving requests

I'd start with 1) and see if it solves the problem. Interesting problem btw...

At 01:17 PM 5/24/2004, Alexander,D wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Hope someone can advise.
>
>We have an unconventional deployment of our applications in Tomcat (4.1.x)
>where, rather than deploying classes under each webapp, they have been
>deployed together in a jar under CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib alongside other
>library jars. We do this to ease deployment as we have a large number of
>classes that are common across many applications.
>
>This may not be the 'correct' way to deploy them but that is how it is,
>the applications work and it would be a large amount of work to reorganise.
>
>We are considering using log4j to provide logging for these apps. but it
>seems to me that our unconventional deployment makes this difficult.
>
>Please correct me if I am wrong, but in a normal deployment the
>application classes, log4j.jar and the log4j.configuration are all
>deployed under the webapp allowing control over the logging for that
>specific application.
>
>In our setup, we have lost the possiblity of control the logging on a per
>application basis from the configuration file. The only option we would
>have there is to set different logging levels and/or appenders to
>different points in the class/package hierarchy. However this wouldn't
>provide much benefit to us as many classes are used by more than one
>application.
>
>As I see it, the only way around this is for us to use an MDC in each of
>our Servlets to identify the application it belongs to, have the Pattern
>print this value out and write a custom appender (or some filtering later
>on) to separate the log entries for each application based on this value.
>
>If anyone has any experience with logging classes from
>CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib I'd appreciate it. I wonder if I have missed an
>easy trick and am making things too complicated.
>
>Also, as in this situation, I have log4j.jar also in
>CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib, where should I put the log4j.configuration file
>for it to be picked up automatically?
>
>Thanks,
>D.

Ceki Gülcü