From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [../logs/performance.log] to [../logs/performance.log.2004-05-04].
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 15:34:49 GMT
The last time I did a build it involved completely shutting down Tomcat, deleting the webapp
and reinstalling the webapp and restarting TC again. That would have killed all locks no?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: 20 May 2004 16:31
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [../logs/performance.log] to
[../logs/performance.log.2004-05-04].

At 05:22 PM 5/20/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Yes we are Windows 2000 (not my fault ;), I would rather Linux) however be >impressed
that I have convinced the internet ASP team to switch to J2EE.

>I don't suppose you know of how to look for what process could be holding >the files?
This is nice and easy in UNIX of course ;) I have tried
>restarts of Tomcat but the locks are not released, nor can I even think
>why locks would be on these files .. it happens on all 9 logs.

Have you recycled or redeployed the web application in question? If you
did, you have to make sure that it calls the LogManager.shutdown() method.

--
Ceki Gülcü

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software