From "Alexander,D" <D.Alexan...@lse.ac.uk>
Subject Logging in Tomcat from classes in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 10:28:35 GMT
Hi,

Hope someone can advise.

We have an unconventional deployment of our applications in Tomcat (4.1.x) where, rather than
deploying classes under each webapp, they have been deployed together in a jar under CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib
alongside other library jars. We do this to ease deployment as we have a large number of classes
that are common across many applications.

This may not be the 'correct' way to deploy them but that is how it is, the applications work
and it would be a large amount of work to reorganise.

We are considering using log4j to provide logging for these apps. but it seems to me that
our unconventional deployment makes this difficult.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but in a normal deployment the application classes, log4j.jar
and the log4j.configuration are all deployed under the webapp allowing control over the logging
for that specific application.

In our setup, we have lost the possiblity of control the logging on a per application basis
from the configuration file. The only option we would have there is to set different logging
levels and/or appenders to different points in the class/package hierarchy. However this wouldn't
provide much benefit to us as many classes are used by more than one application.

As I see it, the only way around this is for us to use an MDC in each of our Servlets to identify
the application it belongs to, have the Pattern print this value out and write a custom appender
(or some filtering later on) to separate the log entries for each application based on this
value.

If anyone has any experience with logging classes from CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib I'd appreciate
it. I wonder if I have missed an easy trick and am making things too complicated.

Also, as in this situation, I have log4j.jar also in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib, where should
I put the log4j.configuration file for it to be picked up automatically?

Thanks,
D.