From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: FW: Logging in Tomcat from classes in CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 18:21:46 GMT
Quoting "Alexander,D" <D.Alexander@lse.ac.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Hope someone can advise.
>
> We have an unconventional deployment of our applications in Tomcat (4.1.x)
> where, rather than deploying classes under each webapp, they have been
> deployed together in a jar under CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib alongside other
> library jars. We do this to ease deployment as we have a large number of
> classes that are common across many applications.

So, you do, at least, have .war files, but the libraries they depend on are in
shared/lib.  Ok.

> This may not be the 'correct' way to deploy them but that is how it is, the
> applications work and it would be a large amount of work to reorganise.
>
> We are considering using log4j to provide logging for these apps. but it
> seems to me that our unconventional deployment makes this difficult.

Not overly.  Just a bit more thought.

> Please correct me if I am wrong, but in a normal deployment the application
> classes, log4j.jar and the log4j.configuration are all deployed under the
> webapp allowing control over the logging for that specific application.

That's one way which takes advantage of servlet spec recommended classloading
behavior, although not all containers follow this, so it isn't failsafe either.
 However, since Tomcat follows this recommendation, it works as advertised in
Tomcat.

> In our setup, we have lost the possiblity of control the logging on a per
> application basis from the configuration file. The only option we would have
> there is to set different logging levels and/or appenders to different points
> in the class/package hierarchy. However this wouldn't provide much benefit to
> us as many classes are used by more than one application.
>
> As I see it, the only way around this is for us to use an MDC in each of our
> Servlets to identify the application it belongs to, have the Pattern print
> this value out and write a custom appender (or some filtering later on) to
> separate the log entries for each application based on this value.

You just haven't been introduced the concept of logger repositories and
repository selectors.  This is what you need for your situation.

> If anyone has any experience with logging classes from
> CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib I'd appreciate it. I wonder if I have missed an easy
> trick and am making things too complicated.

See...
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Log4JProjectPages/AppContainerLogging

Check out logging-log4j-sandbox using the tag "LOG4J_SANDBOX_ALPHA3".  This will
 include the ContextJNDISelector which was removed because it was moved to Log4j
proper (but modified significantly making it incompatible with Log4j-1.2.x).

> Also, as in this situation, I have log4j.jar also in
> CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib, where should I put the log4j.configuration file for
> it to be picked up automatically?

Well, first I'd put log4j.jar in common/lib, not shared/lib.  Second, counting
on automatic configuration means that you won't be using a custom repository
selector and, hence, won't be using a separate logger repository per app leaving
you with the same problem you're trying to solve (note that Log4j-1.3 makes
things easier).

Basically, read the javadoc for the InitContextListener and the
ContextJNDISelector for information on configuring your applications to use
separate logger repositories in a shared environment.

Make sure to put log4j-sandbox.jar in shared/lib (or common/lib along with
log4j, either is fine).

Any more questions, let me know.

Jake