From "Olli Blackburn" <Olli.Blackb...@borland.com>
Subject RE: Where has LogFactor5 gone?
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:22:42 GMT
As you asked ;-)

1) When changing the props of a receiver you have to change focus to
another prop to action the change. This is particularly odd when
changing the threshold. On text fields (such as socket port) pressing
enter should action the change.

2) I can't get find next to work. Try searching for 209 in the tutorial
generator 1. It doesn't move beyond the first message with 209 in the
Message field.

3) Find should scroll the events panel to the event found.

4) The docs for what you can do in the Refine Focus On field need
writing - I suspect this is a very powerful aspect of chainsaw if only I
knew the secret.

5) the Pause button on the toolbar should change to a Play icon when you
pause. Likewise, the play and pause icons in the receivers panel should
be a single icon that changes from play to pause depending on context.

6) I created a new XMLSocketReceiver. I entered foo for the name and
44440 for the port. I left the input focus in the port field and clicked
ok. The receiver was created with a port of 0.

7) It took me a long time to work out the what the panel below the
logger tree represented - it's the exclude list. I'd suggest putting a
title on it. Also, it takes a double click to remove an entry from it.
I'd suggest a single click to clear the check box (and stop it being
used for exclusion filtering), and a right click->remove menu to remove
it from the list completely.

8) Double clicking on a column heading right hand boundary should widen
that column to the width of the widest value in the column.

9) The (I presume) power of the Tab Identifier expression needs to be
documented.

10) In the Log Panel Preferences - Column dialog you have to double
click to check/uncheck the column selections - it should be a single
click action.

11) Clicking the Show/Hide Details Pane toolbar button hides the details
pane. Clicking it again restores the pane, kinda. It returns minimized
at the bottom and you need to resize it in order to see any details.

12) Are they Panes or Panels - both terms are used across the tool tips
and tutorial - you should standardize on one.

13) The file menu has 4 actions for ctrl+O - it can clearly only be one
of them.

14) The Current Tab menu ends with "Other options...." indicating there
are some tasks that can only be accomplished from the right-click menu.
All tasks should be available directly from the main menus without
needing to use right-click.

15) I'd like to be able to specify default event pane columns for all
new tabs on an application wide basis. This would save me needing to
individually customize every tab.

16) Clicking on an event shows its details, but focus is almost
instantly removed and placed on the latest event to arrive. This is very
off-putting when you're trying to read what happened. If I explicitly
select an event (by clicking or find) focus should remain on that event
until I select another event. I think this just requires Find and
click-select to turn off "scroll to bottom". I can then simply select
"Scroll to bottom" to get back to the default mode.

Perhaps a "selected" event should be highlighted in blue as now, but in
scroll-to-bottom mode the last event should be outlined in a dotted blue
box to distinguish it from the selected state (c.f. Windows Explorer).

17) How do I configure the cycle size?

18) Clicking on a logger in the tree should focus on it. Having to
enable the "focus on" mode is an unnecessary additional step.

19) There's no way to change the width of the receivers pane. More
specifically, I wanted to widen the events pane and had to widen the
entire chainsaw window instead of making the events pane wider and the
receivers narrower.

20) I don't know what the information in the status bar is telling me.

21) I have valid timestamps in the events pane (dated 2004-01-06) but
when I select an event the date in the details pane is wrong
(2004-50-06). The time is ok, it's just the month that's wrong. I see
this in the tutorial generator 1 and my own logs.

22) As you type in the find field the first matching event is
automatically selected as you continue to complete the search string. If
you backspace it doesn't unwind back to the first matching event
following the current selection.

23) The substitutable values for the pattern editor should be
documented.

24) The tool tip time for the events should be tunable separately from
the time for button tool tips - the events are long and take longer to
read so I'd typically like the event tool tip to remain displayed for
longer (perhaps indefinitely until the mouse moved would be a good
option too).

25) I'd like to be able to reorder the tabs by dragging them into an
order that works for me.

26) There is a lot of debug chat in the console window that starts
chainsaw, and in ChainsawCentral.

27) I've had two NPEs:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:161)
        at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(ImageIcon.java:147)
        at
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI$ShortCutPanel.<init
>(WindowsFileChooserUI.java:603)
        at
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.installComponents(W
indowsFileChooserUI.java:361)
        at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installUI(BasicFileChooserUI.j
ava:130)
        at
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.installUI(WindowsFi
leChooserUI.java:176)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(JComponent.java:449)
        at javax.swing.JFileChooser.updateUI(JFileChooser.java:1701)
        at javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(JFileChooser.java:345)
        at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(JFileChooser.java:320)
        at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(JFileChooser.java:273)
        at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.FileLoadAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at
javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
        at
javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractB
utton.java:1839)
        at
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.ja
va:420)
        at
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:289)
        at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113
)
        at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(B
asicMenuItemUI.java:943)
        at
java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:231)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
        at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
        at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
        at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThrea
d.java:201)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.
java:151)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.String.startsWith(String.java:1006)
        at java.lang.String.startsWith(String.java:1035)
        at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoggerNameTreePanel$18.evaluate(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoggerNameTreePanel.evaluate(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.RuleMediator.evaluate(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawCyclicBufferTableModel$FilterChangeExe
cutor.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

28) My receiver definitions aren't persisted across runs of chainsaw.

29) What's the difference between pausing a receiver and pausing
incoming events on the toolbar. If they're the same they should be
merged to one icon, or at least change state together.

Sorry of I missed the point on some of these items - these are just my
thoughts and experiences as a first time user. Hope it helps!

Regards,
Olli