From "Daniel J Mauer" <djma...@raytheon.com>
Subject Re: Chainsaw - viewing log files from client side
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:16:54 GMT

Thanks.  I have Chainsaw v1.  If you let me know how to access the V2
software I can give it a try.  If the new version includes code for loading
a remote XML file via a standard URL and a static factory method to start
Chainsaw I think that might be beneficial.

Dan

                      Paul Smith

                      <paul.smith@lawl         To:      Log4J Users List <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      ex.com.au>               cc:

                                               Subject: Re: Chainsaw - viewing log files from
client side
                      11/19/2003 03:12

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Log4J Users

                      List"

First question, are we talking about Chainsaw v1 (part of the log4j
1.2.8 distribution), or Chainsaw v2, which accessible from CVS, but not
officially released as yet.

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 02:31, Daniel J Mauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to view log files stored on the server from a
client
> machine, and am wondering if Chainsaw can be used for this purpose.  I
know
> Chainsaw uses a JFileChooser to load files, which I believe cannot be
used
> to access files on a remote server?  If it can, how would one restrict
> access to just the directory where the log files are stored?  Finally,
does
> anyone know how to start Chainsaw from code rather than from a script?  I
> would like for it to be possible for our users to start Chainsaw from our
> application whenever they want to look at log files.  Thanks!

If you are willing to try things direct from CVS, we might be able to
help.  v1 of Chainsaw is not being actively maintained, but v2 is
currently in heavy, if sporadic, development.

version as yet.  It really should be simple to do, so maybe I should get
off my but and do it....

Starting from within a running VM would be a little difficult at the
moment, I think I could add a static factory method to create one for
you.   Would that help?

cheers,

Paul Smith