From Tom Eugelink <t...@tbee.org>
Subject Revamp: App-server independent log4j logging
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:16:43 GMT
I'm NOT stupid...

I hope.

The reason I joined this mailing list was because I had a
auto-configuration problem, but it "went away"... BUT now it's back. Oh joy.

- I have Tomcat 4.1.12 with 1 context (my application).
- In my application I have
   * WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar (latest stable)
   * WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties
- In the Tomcat directory is no log4j.jar or properties.

Now, if I start Tomcat with "-Dlog4j.debug=true", I get NO debug output
nor is my log4j.properties loaded, but I do not get log4j error messages
about needing a log4j.properties (so it did find one), and there is
log4j output being generated...

Why don't I get debug output?

If I copy a log4j.jar into Tomcat/server/lib, I do get debug output, but
then it says:

	log4j: Could not find resource: [null]

Why isn't it looking into my web-inf/classes?

Please, tell me I'm not stupid.

Tom