From otisg <ot...@ureach.com>
Subject Appender logging to 2 logs - how to stop it
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:06:37 GMT
Hello,

I am using log4j 1.2.8 (under JBoss).  I'm having a problem with
one of my Appenders logging to multiple log files, even though I
didn't configure it to do this.

Here is how I configured it:

<appender name="MyUserTracker"
class="..DailyRollingFileAppender">
  <param name="File" value="/....../tracker.log"/>
  <param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/>
  <param name="Append" value="true"/>
  <param name="DatePattern" value="......"/>

  <layout class="org.....">
    <param name="ConversionPattern" value="...."/>
  </layout>
</appender>

<category name="UserTracker">
  <appender-ref ref="MyUserTracker"/>
</category>

That is it.

The log4j.xml also contains configs for several other appenders,
and contains this:

<root>
  <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
  <appender-ref ref="FILE"/>
</root>

CONSOLE is a ConsoleAppender catching System.out and FILE is a
DailyRollingFileAppender going to a different log file.

It seems to me like messages going to my UserTracker appender
are somehow getting saved into the CONSOLE appender.
Nothing in my code prints to System.out.

I have not been able to figure this out for a looong time.
Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Otis