From "Digambar, Shaligram (Consultant)" <Shaligram.Digam...@GTECH.COM>
Subject RE: Nested Diagnostic Context
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:24:35 GMT
Excellent Example

Thanks,
Shaligram
-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Vainder [mailto:adam.vainder@lexi.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 10:38 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Nested Diagnostic Context

Hey,

Brief example.

jsp :

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html" %>
<%@ page import="org.apache.log4j.*" %>

<%-- ------------------------------------------------------------------%>
<%-- Page initialization                                             --%>
<%-- ------------------------------------------------------------------%>
<%!//make logger private static
	//private static Logger log = Logger.getRootLogger();
	private static Logger log = Logger.getLogger("com.foo");
%>

<%
        String userHost=request.getRemoteHost();
	String userIp=request.getRemoteAddr();
	NDC.clear();
	NDC.push(userHost);
	NDC.push(userIp);
%>

    <head>
	<title>LOG EXAMPLE</title>

    </head>
<%
    log.info("THIS IS A TEST");
%>
    <!--whatever else you want to do-->
<%
      NDC.remove(); //clear things up if not forwarding to another page,
otherwise omit this until the last page(s) the person can reach,
including error pages, etc.
%>

Properties file :

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.file=/opt/tomcat/webapps/foo.log
log4j.appender.A1.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.A1.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern==%d{MM-dd-yyyy HH:mm:ss} %-5p
%c %x - %m%n

Should give something along the format :
  <date and time> INFO <jsp-filename> <hostname ip-address (e.g. NDC
info)> - THIS IS A TEST

the %x in the ConversionPattern is what outputs the NDC.

Does that help enough?

Adam Vainder