From "tom ONeill" <beagleboythefi...@hotmail.com>
Subject log4j using appender but not specified pattern
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:36:33 GMT
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what might be causing
a small problem that I have. In my log4j properties file (XML format) I have
set up a particular appender that writes to a file. I have also specified a
particular Pattern for the appender. Now the logging entries are being
written to the appender but are not using the pattern that I specified.

The appender is specified in the logging file as follows

<appender name="PerfAppender" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
            <param name="File"   value="Perf.log" />
            <param name="Append" value="true" />
               <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d - %m%n"/>
            </layout>
</appender>

This appender is then associated with a a particular logger as follows:

<logger name="MainLog">
            <level class="de.start.sip.tools.logging.OurLogLevel"
value="trace"/>
            <appender-ref ref="PerfAppender" />
</logger>

When I execute my application the Perf.log file is being written however it
does not include the datetime which I would expect from using %d in the
specified pattern for the appender. Not all the code is my own so its
possible that there is somthing going on that I dont know about but what I
need to know is the possible ways in which an appender could be used without
actually using the specified pattern?

Thanks,

Tom