From "Pascal Rheaume (QC/EMC)" <Pascal.Rhea...@ericsson.com>
Subject BufferSize always the same
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:26:36 GMT
Hi,

I'm using a custom FileAppender with buffered io because speed is really important for me.
I have amazing improvement over not buffered io, so I would like to keep it buffered. I'm
able to live with a small lost of logging at the end due to the buffer that has not been emptied.
And if I'm correct, the default size for the buffer is 8kb. For me, 8kb is too big so I want
to reduce this size.

Here is my problem: whatever number I put in the BufferSize parameter, it is ALWAYS a 8kb
buffer. The final size of my log file is 8kb or less than the log file I would have for the
same operations sequence in a not buffered IO.

I set the ImmediateFlush parameter to false and the BufferedIO parameter to true. So, anybody
has an idea on what could be the source of my problem here? I really don' get it!

I have a secondary question: that BufferSize parameter, is it a size in kb or a size in number
of log statements? Because, if what I read was correct, in AsyncAppender, BufferSize is a
number of log statements. Anyway, my first problem still applies.

A big thanks in advance,

Pascal